Friday, April 01, 2005

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . .

Although Iowa probably isn't considered all that far away, I know a number of people would consider it another galaxy. And while still more individuals would consider Iowa the land of corn, soybeans, and the Bridges of Madison County, I consider the midwest state the birthplace of my fanatic fascination with all things science fiction and fantasy. My childhood was filled with the literary works of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, the big screen adventures of Star Wars and classic monster movies, and the small screen exploits of the Six Million Dollar Man, the Bionic Woman, the crew of the starship Enterprise.

When my family moved to Colorado, I met Mike and a new chapter in my geekdom began. I started playing D&D, reading fantasy novels, and became more than a little interested in comic books. By my high school years, my journey toward science fiction/fantasy geekdom was complete. I was a full-fledged Star Wars fanatic, considered myself a Trekkie, and possessed a better fantasy library than most city libraries.

Today, my love of science fiction, fantasy, and comic books continues. The desk in my home office is covered with an eclectic assortment of action figures including Iron Man (5 versions), Green Lantern, the Power Puff girls, Darth Vader, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Obi-wan Kenobi, Yoda, Mace Windu, Shak-ti, the Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Galadriel, and several Ringwraiths. Boxes of comic books fill my closet and my bookshelf is packed with fantasy & science fiction, some read and some waiting to be read.

As an adult and an academic, I've always been interested in why some people are attracted to certain entertainment genres and not others. To some extent, I guess that's part of the reason I approached Mike and Curtis about contributing to Army of Dorkness. I've been reading both their blogs for some time and we all share a deep love of science fiction/fantasy/comic books/gaming and the like. Each of our lives have been deeply influenced by the cultural products we've consumed. I'm looking forward to reading and contributing some great "rumblings, imprints, and musings on science fiction, fantasy, comic books, gaming, and other things common to the unconventional mind."

To Mike, Curtis, and new readers, strap yourselves in and prepare for the jump to hyperspace! May our new blogging exploits prove as exciting and inspiring as our source material. May the Force be with us.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Jumpgate activated, we're going in. It'll be fun to see where it takes us.