Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wizard's First Rule: TV Edition!

Here's a piece that should interest one of the two people who read Army of Dorkness.

The "Spider-Man" director is teaming with Disney-ABC Domestic Television and ABC Studios on a new first-run, live-action weekly series targeted for a fall launch. The series, titled "Wizard's First Rule," is based on Terry Goodkind's best-selling epic fantasy series "The Sword of Truth."

I've generally enjoyed the Sword of Truth series. There are times when I have some significant ideological differences with the author--his polemic against peace as a form of active resistance come to mind--but, in general, the series is entertaining fantasy fare. The fact that Sam Raimi is involved gives the series at least a chance of being decent.

2 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

I hope, for the sake of the fans, that this is good. I was so disappointed by Dresden...

Not something I'll likely see right away. Never read the books, and the only Raimy movie I actually really like is For Love of the Game (the movie that Raimy fans say is least like his stuff).

Michael said...

I don't know how I feel about this. Part of what I like o much about Goodkind's writing is how descriptive he is. TV sort of renders that redundant, doesn't it?

As for his philosophy, well, he's channeling Ayn Rand. I usually gloss over the exposition in such cases and get back to the story.

Now that the last book in the series is finally out, I may have to start reading it again.