Monday, January 07, 2008

Sci-Fi's Top 25

Entertainment Weekly just released its list of The Top 25 Sci-Fi Moments of the Past 25 Years. The link leads to #25; you can click from there and see the other 24 entries in sequence. Here's the list in full:

25. V: The Miniseries (1983)
24. Galaxy Quest (1999)
23. Doctor Who (1963-Present)
22. Quantum Leap (1989-1993)
21. Futurama (1999-2003)
20. Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003-2005)
19. Starship Troopers (1997)
18. Heroes (2006-Present)
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
16. Total Recall (1990)
15. Firefly / Serenity (2002/2005)
14. Children of Men (2006)
13. The Terminator / Terminator 2 (1984/1991)
12. Back to the Future (1985)
11. Lost (2004-Present)
10. The Thing (1982)
9. Aliens (1986)
8. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994)
7. E.T. (1982)
6. Brazil (1985)
5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
4. The X-Files (1993-2002)
3. Blade Runner (1982)
2. Battlestar Galactica (2003-Present)
1. The Matrix (1999)

Naturally, I have comments. First, I'm ashamed to admit that there are six on this list that I haven't seen. (I won't go into detail on which six they are.) As for the other nineteen, well, I have varying opinions on them.

First, he ones on which I disagree. My dislike for Starship Troopers is well-known; I won't rant further on this one. Futurama was okay, but not one of the top 25 sci-fi things of the last 25 years, IMHO. And while Star Trek: The Next Generation was certainly the most influential of the Trek series, most fans will agree that Deep Space Nine was a better series overall.

(Of course, I think Babylon 5 was a better series than any of the Trek. And if you click on the link on The Matrix's page, you can get a list of the most glaring omissions to the list according to EW readers. B5 is second on that list, squeezed neatly between Farscape and Stargate SG-1.)

Now, on to the good stuff. I'm glad that Doctor Who made the list (though I still think Tom Baker was the best Doctor; I'm old school that way). I'm a little surprised that Firefly made it—surprised, but not disappointed. I never really got into X-Files, though I can see why it was so high on the list. And Galaxy Quest should have been ranked higher. It was nothing short of brilliant.

Comments, fellow sci-fi buffs?

3 comments:

Lord Mhoram said...

23. Doctor Who (1963-Present)
21. Futurama (1999-2003)
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
11. Lost (2004-Present)
6. Brazil (1985)

Are all questionable choices for me. They could easily have been left of the list for Farscape, Stargate or B5.

3. Blade Runner (1982)

While I personally don't care a lot for this movie, it was a big deal, so I can see a reason for it on this list.


2. Battlestar Galactica

There is no way this should be in the top 10, much less number 2. If they chose specific episodes, I could see an argument for the original mini or perhaps 33. But this show has been going downhill, and has been looking to go off a cliff. Great shows get better as they go, not worse.


1. The Matrix (1999)

I don't know that this should have been #1, but I can see it.

No inclusion of the prequels - while not great, they were incredibly influential - even if all they did was make people claim that Lucas raped thier childhood with a pine cone. They are much better than the animated stuff that made the list.

dilliwag said...

I've seen everything on the list with the exception of Brazil (must add to Netflix queue and I don't disagree that most should be in the top 25. I'm a little confused by Starship Troopers--was the movie really that groundbreaking? I enjoyed it but wouldn't put it in the top 25. Futurama doesn't do much for me but that's more personal preference than anything else.

Loved the inclusion of the Animated Clone Wars as I think these DVDs are the best of the SW universe since 1983. Like Mhoram, I think the prequels deserve to be on this list; not great films, by any stretch, but the fan culture phenomenon surrounding the films is quite a pop culture legacy.

Although I'm risking my geek credibility with this next comment, I'll go for it anyway. I think Heroes should be omitted from this list. Yes, Season One had some interesting points, but the abbreviated Season Two was bloody awful. What a waste of a good concept. The article refers to it as "groundbreaking." How so?

Cindy said...

I agree with the ordering. Not a fan of Starship Troopers and I never considered Futurama sci-fi. Maybe I am not the nerd I thought I was.

I did really enjoy Brazil and have never seen another movie like it. I is a bit dated now, but an excellent movie.

I think the original Dr. Who some what groundbreaking. The new shows I love, but find them more entertaining than ground breaking.