Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Science Fiction and Fantasy as Equipment for Living

Since Mike posted some ideas for my potential class here at Army of Dorkness, I thought I'd add a follow up. After several hours of writing and rewriting, I think I've developed a suitable course description. Check it out.

This course explores the ways in which science fiction and fantasy media (film and television) contributes to an understanding of contemporary human life. Embracing the futuristic, the magical, and the spectacular, mediated forms of science fiction and fantasy invite viewers to enter a public dialogue concerning issues of science, ethics, art, and religion. Throughout the semester, students will examine the ways in which mediated artifacts assist in the constitution and negotiation of human aspirations and apprehensions.

I've also developed a working title.

Rocket ships, Replicants, and Ringwraiths: Science Fiction and Fantasy as Equipment for Living

I'm open to suggestions for the title. The only requirement is that the second half of the title--Science Fiction and Fantasy as Equipment for Living--has to stay the same. I'm using a couple articles that talk about media as "Equipment for Living" as the foundation for the course (mad props to Marsha for reminding me of the piece). With that in mind, I also had a couple other potential titles.

Metahumans, Magicians, and Monsters from the ID
Starships, Simulacrum, and Sorcerers
Hyperspace, Hellmouths, and Hobbits

The more I think about it, the more I like the 3rd postential title. It's vague enough that it captures the spirit of science fiction/fantasy and specific enough that it reveals some of the films/programs that we'll watch.

No comments: