Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Comic Update

Like Curtis, I’ve become increasingly dismayed with the quality of what passes as recent comic book fare. Of the comics I read regularly, there are few that evoke much in the way of excitement. Here’s my current reading list and a few thoughts.

Marvel Comics
I’m not sure what’s going on at Marvel, but most of the titles I read are pure drivel.

Avengers. Curtis summed this up nicely. The new Avengers have very little appeal. Bring back the old guard. Leave Wolverine in the X-titles, please.

Iron Man. Since the relaunch almost a year ago, only three issues have been published. The truth of the matter is that nobody really knows when the next issue will be released. A regular monthly title that publishes every two, three or four months has definite problems. Oh, and the storyline is mediocre at best. Don’t even get me started on Orson Scott Card’s Ultimate Iron Man. Absolute crap.

Thunderbolts. A decent title. I like the whole supervillains searching for redemption theme of this book. Taking second string players--e.g. Radioactive Man, The Beetle, SpeedDemon, Blizzard, Atlas--and breathing life into their stale characterizations works for me. It also helps that Kurt Busiek, one of my favorite comic writers, is involved with this title.

The Young Avengers. The YA show some promise. Let’s hope the Marvel powers-that-be don’t screw it up.

DC Comics
While I’m generally more pleased with my DC titles, I’m still not thrilled.

Green Lantern. What can I say about what was once my favorite title? Not a whole lot, I’m afraid. Unlike Curtis, I’m not thrilled with the return of Hal Jordan. In fact, I think Hal’s return is indicative of the unimaginative state of comic book writing. Yet another fallen hero back from the dead? ::sighs:: Been there, done that. I loved reading the Silver Age adventures of Hal Jordan. I also liked his fall from grace during Emerald Twilight. Real heroes are flawed individuals; they make mistakes, sometimes tragic ones. Hal’s return is nothing more than a big cop out, a do over. As a long-time GL fan, I’ll continue to read the comic but find myself ambivalent about the current direction. I’m far more excited about Green Lantern Corps: Recharge, which features Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, and Kilowog, then the flagship title.

JLA. The recent Crime Syndicate story arc was very mediocre. The cross universe storylines don’t do much for me.

JSA. I’ve been indifferent toward this title for several months. The only reason I continue to read it is Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern. If you aren’t intimately familiar with the long and storied history of the Justice Society of America, a group that’s been around since the 1940s, you’ll miss much of what’s going on. Sadly, I’m not up-to-date on the 60 year history of this group. Still, there's enough good writing to maintain my interest.

The Outsiders. The current battle with Brainiac/Lex Luthor plot is good, traditional comic fare.

Teen Titans. Always fun. The Dr. Light story arc was terrific. I’ve always liked the whole superkids in training gig (the original New Mutants was one of my favorite comics). Rob Liefeld is doing the art for a couple upcoming issues. As one message board poster stated: it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues. it’s only two issues.

Dark Horse

All the Star Wars comics remain some of my most anticipated reads of the month. I’m looking forward to the post-Revenge of the Sith stories in Star Wars: Republic.

No comments: