Sunday, May 08, 2005

Since I Found Serenity

Take my love. Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black.
Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land And boil the sea.
You can't take the sky from me.

Have no place I can be since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me.


Almost three years ago, Joss Whedon’s short-lived television series caught my attention and refused to let go. Despite my great love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and everything Whedonesque, his Firefly series stands as Whedon’s best work to date. Set approximately 500 years in the future, the science fiction western depicted the adventures of Captain Mal and his struggle to forge a family out of the motley crew that stumbled into his sphere of influence. From strike-it-rich-quick schemes, to hauling cattle across interplanetary expanses, to protecting a brothel full of whores, to eating dinner at the large wooden table in the ship’s galley, the crew of Serenity--a Firefly class ship--struggled to earn a living and do the next right thing. Although a mere thirteen episodes were ever made, the unique setting and dynamic characterizations earned Firefly my coveted "Favorite Television Series Ever" award.

And that brings me to the reason for my current post. Several days ago, I managed to procure two tickets to a sneak preview screening of the nearly complete Firefly movie. Now titled Serenity, Joss Whedon somehow managed to convince studio executives to revive a cancelled television series on the big screen.* Now in post-production, the movie premieres on September 30.

For fans of the television series, and general science fiction fans, this movie does not disappoint. The Firefly 'verse is still a very harsh and inhospitable place in which to try and carve out a living. The general premise of the film, as evidenced by the recent trailer, puts the crew of Serenity on the lam. Picking up on one of the unresolved plots from the television series, The Alliance (the militaristic government) continues its attempts to capture River and Simon Tam, two fugitives who now call Serenity home. Without offering any major spoilers, let me say that Serenity offers all the classic elements of the television series: bungled heists, barroom brawls, a smattering of gunplay, Chinese cursing, trademark Whedon humor, and a postmodern visual aesthetic. The highlight of the film, however, is the continued superb characterization.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds remains a might conflicted when his altruistic Browncoat ideals, love of crew, and personal survival instincts clash. The light-hearted, mischievous Mal, one of my favorite elements of the series, is missing through most of the film. Instead, the film gives us an intense portrait of Dark Mal, the captain who is willing to sacrifice just about anyone for the safety of his crew. While Zoe remains the ever-committed right hand and sometimes conscience of Mal, her husband, Wash, continues as the ship's comedian and pilot. Kaylee's innocence and love of engines still stand in stark contrast to her not-so-innocent carnal desires. Jayne, the resident thug and cantankerous varmint, persists in his desire to be both part of a crew and satiate his self-serving interests. River, a character who gets a great deal of screen time in the film, is as quirky and dangerous as ever; Simon remains the most loving of brothers and the best ship's doctor in the universe. Inara, relegated to what I thought was secondary status throughout the film, serves as irresistible bait and source of befuddlement for Mal. And Shepard Book, now serving as a clergyman for an out-of-the-way colony, still preaches the best sermon in the known galaxy. It's a damn shame that Inara and Shepard didn’t get more screen. With nine characters, I suppose something had to go.

With excellent characterization, a decent plot, and a thoroughly enjoyable visual presentation, I recommend the move enthusiastically to both fans of the series and fans of science fiction. As much as STK and I enjoyed the movie (two enthusiastic thumbs up), I have my doubts as to whether this film will be a commercial hit. When I walked into the theater, I already had an intimate understanding of the characters and their motivations. Obviously, a two hour movie can't come anywhere close to the character development accomplished in 13 episodes. I'm afraid the general population, the population needed to assure the continuation of the Firefly franchise, won't be as intrigued by the characters. Simply put, they don't have the same emotional investment as fans. Oh, I'm sure the general movie-goer will enjoy the chase scenes, fisticuffs, gunslinging, and beautiful renderings of epic space battle, all of which are quite entertaining, but will they care about the characters?

*The revival of the franchise is due, in no small part, the incredible DVD sales of the cancelled series.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Okay, Curtis, I guess I know what I'm borrowing from you once I finish watching B5....