Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Joy of Treks

With my time off between semesters this week, I've been able to catch a few Star Trek reruns. As you may be aware, Spike TV (the Worst. Name. Ever. for a network, IMHO) runs a four hour block of Trek each weekday starting at 11:00 a.m. Eastern time.

With the recent cancellation of Enterprise, there is a certain symmetry among the five Trek series: seven years of The Next Generation, seven years of Deep Space 9, and seven years of Voyager. The four seasons of Enterprise, combined with the three seasons of the original Star Trek, make for seven years as well.

In other words, we have approximately the same amount of material from each of four different Trek flavors: early Trek, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. So, if I were running the network in question, here's what I would do (immediately after changing its name, which would be my first official act):

11:00 Star Trek (the original series) / Enterprise
12:00 Star Trek: The Next Generation
 1:00 Star Trek: Deep Space 9
 2:00 Star Trek: Voyager

And in the 3:00 hour, maybe I'd see about bringing in episodes of other cancelled or syndicated sci-fi series. Stargate SG-1 would be cool, or Firefly, or Farscape. And of course Babylon 5 would find its way into regular rotation.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

dilliwag said...

You're a sci-fi, DVD addict! I wonder if there's a 12 step group for that particular affliction?

dilliwag said...

I'd bring back some of the cool, sci-fi cartoons for the after school crowd: Space Ghost, Herculoids, Johnny Quest, etc. On Friday or Saturday night, I'd feature classic sci-fi movies from the 40s to present (e.g. Forbidden Planet, The Thing from Another World, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run). I'd avoid the ultra block busters, like Star Wars, and go with some of the less frequently played classics.