Monday, August 31, 2009

Disney buying Marvel

Disney is buying Marvel Comics for 4 billion.

Wow.

This was not something I expected to see this morning. Huge huge news for comics. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, this will do to the comics themselves.. I have some hopes, as I think Marvel has been a cesspool of bad writing (with a very few expections) for years, I hope this will make things better. Others will feel differently of course.

The biggest reason, I'm sure, is to get access to the characters for theme parks, movies and videogames.

I've lamented the "disneyfication" of other source material (Hunchback for example, or the Three Musketeers), but as bad as I feel Marvel is right now, I'd welcome it.

3 comments:

dilliwag said...

I was just about to post this same thing. You know what I think will happen when the media splash subsides? Absolutely nothing. Despite all the ridiculous fan boy whining--"Disney will try to force Marvel to adopt a kinder softer Wolverine! OMG!"--Disney will stay out of the Marvel business. Oh, I'm sure there will be cost cutting moves, administrative shifts, and what not, but you're spot on when you say the major implication is the ownership of the various characters. Disney is after the rights of the Marvel characters, not the characters themselves. Consumers of the finished products (comics, films, etc) won't notice that anything changed.

Lord Mhoram said...

Well, I would like to see a little change - take Marvel up a notch or two in brightness - it's been a pretty bleak and dismal place recently.

But no I never expect to see Marvel Team up with Spidey and Mickey. :)

dilliwag said...

Bleak is right, Mhoram. I've been a faithful Marvel reader for almost 30 years and I'm starting to drop books. Disassembled, House of M, Skrull Invasion, and now Dark Reign? Bleh. I don't mind a bit of "realism" now and again, but I still like to read about heroic characters. Unfortunately, DC is going the same route with this Blackest Night storyline. Green Lantern fans seem to really dig the plot. I, on the other hand, find myself doing a perpetual eye roll when I read any Blackest Night comic (GL zombies! Ooooooo). Can't we take a break from these drawn out, universe spanning events and go back to the days of mini story arcs (a couple issues, maybe three or four) and one offs?