Sunday, March 11, 2007

Omega Flight!

Years ago, I had great hopes for the original Alpha Flight comic. Early on, it was a fun ride. Guardian, Sasquatch, Aurora & Northstar, Snowbird, Shaman, Marina, and Puck!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The series got off to a great start, then faded to that "good but not great" limbo that typically leads to cancellation. And that's exactly what happened. Mac died and Heather took his role (which never really worked for me, btw), Aurora and Northstar had their falling out, and then we were treated to the whole bizarro Alien Marinna Loves Sub-Mariner plot that made its way into The Avengers. Despite the weirdness of the plots and borderline dysfunction of the team, I was a fan. I lost track of the various Alpha Flight restarts, however, and really have no idea what happened to the group over the last decade (with the exception of nearly the entire team being snuffed from existence in the pages of New Avengers. Off panel. Another beautiful death sequence brought to you by the geniuses at Marvel Inc!)

Although Alpha Flight can't seem to pull in enough readers to support an on-going title, Marvel is giving a couple of the old Alpha Flight characters yet another chance. I give you Omega Flight, the new 5 issue limited series.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

US Agent? Sasquatch? Beta Ray Bill?! I'm such a sucker. Despite my recent rantings about Captain America, I'll probably give this series a try.

Is it just me or is Sasquatch in serious need of some hair conditioner in that second image?

5 comments:

Michael said...

Let's see...a counterfeit Thor, a counterfeit Captain America, a counterfeit Spider-Woman, and three members of what was arguably the most dysfunctional super-team in comic book history.

I may just wait for the movie.

Lord Mhoram said...

At least it is beta Ray bill and not Clor.

And a comment I remeber reading about Northstar and what they were going to do about him, but didn't.

"So Northstar is gay right, and sick with AIDS"
"Well that was what the writer was going to do, but the editors chickened out."
"So why was he sick"
"It turns out he was a half fey, and had been to long away from the mystical realms"
"okay, let me get this strait, he was gay, but then they changed that and made him a fairy."

dilliwag said...

I'm signing up for this mini based solely on US Agent's boots. Those red boots kick you-know-what.

The Mighty Thunder Chicken said...

Sasquatch? I thought it was just a bad drawing of a Wookie.

Joe said...

Sasquatch never looked better. But what's with Beta Ray Bill's earthy tones costume?